Principles of Biology

Biology is the study of life & living things. Reflect here on today's discussion dealing with a deeper definition of what the word "life" really means. You can do this in several ways. Some might choose to respond individually to each of the issues represented. Others might choose the one single topic of discussion that struck you most profoundly.

The main idea is... to let today's chat marinate a bit in your head, and then come back to reflect. This is a good way not only for you to realize how value was added to your life from our discussion, but also to share those changes publicly. You grow a little bit every time you mentally prepare to publish a sentence in a public forum.

Due: by Wednesday, September 3rd.

Views: 396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The definition of life can be viewed in many ways. In my opinion, it's the best gift you can recieve- as well as the hardest thing to let go. I am pro- life. I am sorry if that offends any one. But, i believe that in any case, it's wrong to take away someone elses rights, chances, & there life with out them getting any say so. In the class discussion, rape was brought up, but medically we have ways of helping take care of that, which are not abortions. It was said that, you are not actually living until birth, but.. I believe that is wrong & apparently the government believes you must be "kind of" living if there are laws prohibiting abortion after 3 months. We also brought up that if you could give another child a chance & give your babies heart away bc. it was going to survive any way. I couldn't it doesn't matter what you say, nor how much you try & convince me.. You might think that you would be okay with it now, not being in the situation but i think your perspective would deeply change if actually going threw that. I wouldn't take away my babies chance of a life even with birth defects.. bc. do remember Doctors make mistakes.. a lot of them! You never know what is going to happen, until you take that risk!! I'm sorry if you feel different.. but.. i personally couldn't ever do that.. No matter how much you try and persuade me to do so.. but thats just me!
Oh wow is all I can say! That was a very heated discussion in class the other day! I thought that there was going to be a fight right in the middle of class because of all the different opinons going around. But life to me begins at conception. Once the baby is started I think it's wrong to have an abortion, I am pro-life ALL THE WAY! I don't think it's fair for someone to give up a human being just because they made a mistake, it's not the innocent childs fault! They should be a lot smarter and have plans and just not screw around, be safe and be smart. The options are endless in today's world, there is always someone in today's society who cannot have a baby and would LOVE to take and be the parental units for that little one.Now that's not harmless at all. Everyone wins in that situation, the baby gets to live and have a wonderful life, the parents who couldn't have a child now has a little one, and the woman and man who didn't want the baby now don't. Now hard was that?!

Sometimes it's hard to reply to these ideas because it's so much different in real life. I have never been in a situation described above so how would I know how to react. But in the long run I'll put my two cents worth in. If I ever had a baby that was born with anencephalic I would accept this baby for what he or she is. It's my baby and I would be happy with them no matter what they looked like and I would take care of them no matter how many problems they had. I would love them the best I could. And if a doctor came in and was like, "Mam, we have a child in the other room who needs a heart transplant and we were wondering if we could KILL your baby and take their's, because they would end up only living a few days anyway." I would say hell no! I don't care if they said he or she was only going to live 5 minutes I wouldn't give my babies life away. I created that human being and I would be there for them until the end. How could a doctor do that? I would strongly consider that to be murder! You just don't give up on a living thing like that. Who knows my baby could be the miracle baby to this diesase. I'm sorry but taking a life away when they are still breathing and their soul is still with us is murder and I don't care what anyone says about this, I am 100 percent confident with my reply and wouldn't change it for the world.

Death to me ends when the person can no longer be revived. If there are still brain waves going on I would consider them to still be alive. If there heart is beating or they aren't breathing then use CPR or something along them lines. Isn't that what someone made those procedures for?! To use when someone is need of some help? Sometimes I don't understand how anyone can just give up and say there isn't anything left to do. I know if I was conscious I would say, "Hey here I am laying on this bed, or whatever, and I'm not just going to lay here and just die. How about you do the same thing, help me live on."
I completely agree with you Lacie on everything... but I really like the way you said how they would pretty much be killing your baby to save another baby's life. In all reality, that is what they would be doing. No matter how you look at. And about if your baby only lived 5 minutes, you would still be there for them until the end. To me, no matter what, your baby lived it's life. That was it's purpose.

I really liked your writing!!!
Great discussion, wasn't it? I think this forum is a fantastic follow up as well. And as far as a "fight about to happen"... ehhh... I wasn't thinking we were even 5% close to that. We are just so used to sitting through class as a "receiver" of information that it seems odd when people actually air their opinions on issues.

And when those opinions are colored with religion, politics, etc... then people really have something to say.

I agree with you that, "it's hard to reply to these ideas because it's so much different in real life." I can't tell you how many times my opinions changed on a topic when finally thrust into the middle of it. However, I think thought exercises like these help a person figure out where they really stand on an issue. It is also an exercise in keeping an open mind long enough at least to see life through the point of view of another.
I believe that life begins before birth because the baby is developing and using the mom for life until it is actually born. So basically the mom is the house for the baby until the baby is ready to live without the mom's full time protection. I also believe that life begins at conception because this is when everything is obtained for a baby to begin developing. During class we also talked about abortion and giving your baby up so another baby could live. This is a tough topic for me because at 17 I haven't experienced anything like this, so right now I would have to say I myself don't think abortion is right but I am in no position to judge someone who gets an abortion because I am a guy and will never be pregnant. Now if I had a wife and we had a baby that wasn't expected to live longer than a few days and another baby needed a heart, I would also feel that I would be in no position to take my baby's life because it is a gift no matter how long it is lived. I would have to let my baby die first and then they could take the heart and this may upset a lot of people but i don't feel that I should take anothers life no matter what the case.
Good points. And if it makes you feel any better... there are things at 39 years that I "haven't experienced anything like." That is essentially why I tend to refrain from exerting my will on folks who are going through issues I haven't. It is really hard to do that sometimes, but I think it is important.
Where do I start? I believe a life begins somewhere between conception and birth. If death occurs when brain waves stop, then doesn't life begin when brain waves start? It is kind of hard for me to grasp that something is living when they are just a little blob of cells. During class when we discussed what we would do if a a baby was born without a brain, many students said they would wait till that baby died and would not let the child who needed the heart, have it. It is hard for me to say what I would do in this situation, since I haven't experienced anything like this in my life. But, If I were put in that situation, I would give my child's heart away to the baby who needed it. I honestly dont't think I could live with my self knowing that the baby who needed the heart transplant died because I could not face reality and realize my baby was going to die no matter what. Don't get me wrong, it would be very hard for me to do that. But, if I had the opportunity to save another baby's life, I would do it. I would find comfort in knowing that the heart from my baby is beating in another baby's chest.

How would you feel if you were on the other end of this situation? If all your baby needed was a heart to live a normal and healthy life, but the other baby needed a brand new BRAIN to live a normal and healthy life. Would you be happy if the parent's of the anencephalic baby did not give it's heart away, knowing that their baby was not going to live at most, a couple of days?

I think it would be selfish of someone to not do that. To take two babies lives away instead of one....
I really didn't think about if I had to give my baby's heart away it would beat on in another baby's body. So in a small degree my baby would live on, but I still don't think I would be able to make that decision. I can see where you are coming from though by wanting to be 100 percent sure and saving another baby's life. I just feel everyone and everything deserves a fighting chance, but your comment was good and it really helped me see this situation from another point of view.

"...but your comment was good and it really helped me see this situation from another point of view."

~R. Relford
(perhaps unknowingly- speaking on exactly why we are utilizing an online discussion forum)

I competely agree. I think it would be selfish to let two babies die just so yours could live a few more days or hours. I think you should think or it as saving a life instead of taking one because even if the baby with no brain did survive, he or she would never be able to think or communicate.
I completely agree with Erin! If my child was going to die in a matter of days no matter what, no questions asked, regardless of how hard anyone tried to save it, I would hope with all my heart that another parent would be willing to help my child live! I would be willing to give my child's heart, or any other organs needed, to another child. Your child would live a few days if it had anencephaly, but another child could live a lifetime with your child's heart. Could you possibly be so selfish as to not give another child a shot at life? If I did this at least I would know that my child's heart was survivng in another child's body. I would know that a piece of my child did not die!
I would have to say I'm probably a "tweener" as well. As a biologist, I know all too well what it means to begin the cascade of embryonic development. There is no doubt that this is "life." Perhaps the thing that makes something different somewhere along the way is when "life" switches over to "a life." It is a subtle difference... a letter and a space... but it can be a significant difference in how you perceive it.

RSS

Featured where?

Our Visitors

Over 125,000 unique visitors in just over two years...
Locations of visitors to this page

Google Apps

GOOGLE APPS for Education Logo

Students login HERE for SJSD Google Apps for Education.

Latest Activity

Morgan Presley is now a member of Principles of Biology
Sep 7, 2011
Profile IconAbby Lucas, Erin McAndrews, Benton Library Media Center and 1 more were featured
Feb 4, 2011
Erin Nash's discussion was featured

Virtual Classroom

Our work has certainly come a long way this year. In our short time working in this space (since only September 2009) we have attracted quite a bit of attention for our open approach to learning.  Your sharing, reflection and synthesis have earned two nominations for Edublogs awards in as many years.  Impressive is a good word.In the thread below, please reflect upon our use of free, open online tools to enhance our classroom this year. I'm always proud of how your work ends up being all about…See More
Feb 4, 2011
Sean Nash commented on Erin McAndrews's blog post Levels of Biological Organization
"Today's stats for this blog post... 16,462 unique individual visitors with 287 yesterday alone. Still... the most popular page on the entire site. Considering the fact that this course is no longer offered at this school, and that no new…"
Sep 21, 2010
Sean Grinstead replied to Erin Nash's discussion Virtual Classroom
"There were tons of different things we used in this class that i can't even begin to decide where to start. The most important tool that i used in this class was the internet. If we weren't allowed to use the Internet we would have had to…"
May 19, 2010
Aziz Siddikov replied to Erin Nash's discussion Virtual Classroom
"As the student from the other country I have to admit that we don't have so many freedom in our schools. It is really good opportunity that we have. Non of the classes that i have taken are like this. When i walk in that classroom, i feel the…"
May 18, 2010
Blayr Bolton replied to Erin Nash's discussion Virtual Classroom
"I'm pretty sure that I could write for pages and pages about the way this network has affected our work in Dual Credit Biology, but I'll keep it pretty to the point, so everyone doesn't have to read a novel. First of all, typing this…"
May 14, 2010
Ali Bargu replied to Erin Nash's discussion Virtual Classroom
"First of all: It is over?!?! It felt like yesterday when I walked into this room full of technology! Being introduced to a NING was really interesting. I was skeptical at first. But i changed my opinion really quickly. Being able to work on a…"
May 13, 2010
Erin Nash replied to Erin Nash's discussion Biological Evolution - Final Ideas and Questions
"Taylor, Do you have the link to that interview? It sounds really interesting?"
May 13, 2010
Shelby Hawkins replied to Erin Nash's discussion Virtual Classroom
"I LOVED the way this class was technology oriented! I always look forward to this class, because I know that not only will I learn biology but online tools that will help me in college and a career! The world is moving so fast in technology, and I…"
May 13, 2010
Shandis Cruz replied to Erin Nash's discussion Virtual Classroom
"Oh. My. Goodness. I can’t and don’t want to think of what DC Bio would be like if we didn’t use our online resources. The tools you have given me have opened a vast world of information that I had no idea existed before this year.…"
May 13, 2010
Taylor Woodruff replied to Erin Nash's discussion Virtual Classroom
"Being able to use this online public learning network as something that I really loved about this class! I felt like it gave us freedom to be able to explore more of the things we were interested in while still learning what we had to. I thought…"
May 13, 2010
Kylie Warner replied to Erin Nash's discussion Virtual Classroom
"There are so many great things about our web page, post and blogs. For one, I think this has helped the students out a lot. When ever we have post or research here lies a great place to ask for help and see subjects more on just how we see it…"
May 13, 2010
Erin Nash replied to Erin Nash's discussion Biological Evolution - Final Ideas and Questions
"Marcy, A species is a group of organisms that can interbreed and produce offspring that are fertile. A population is a species that lives in the same geographical area at the same time. They tend to interbreed. Hope this helps with those two little…"
May 13, 2010
"Coleman, You will want to look back to see what intelligent design actually means. Is this something that can be paired with evolution, or is it a different set of ideas?"
May 13, 2010
Coleman Wade Babcock replied to Erin Nash's discussion Biological Evolution - Final Ideas and Questions
"since my question was a beast of a research topic i have decided to revise it a little. My real question is are humans evolving today, and if so then what is in store for us next"
May 13, 2010
Hannah Rush replied to Erin Nash's discussion Virtual Classroom
"Technology in the classroom is definitely one of the many drastic changes that Benton High has made since I have been here. I'm really grateful for it though that's for sure. I must say that although DC Bio was my toughest class, I also…"
May 13, 2010
"Just keep in mind that Lamarck's theory of evolution was an early one - and August Weismann's experiments eventually helped to show that this theory was incorrect. Lamarck's ideas can't be correct - think of a simple example - if…"
May 13, 2010
Erin Nash posted a discussion

Virtual Field Trip

Our work has certainly come a long way this year. In our short time working in this space (since only September 2009) we have attracted quite a bit of attention for our open approach to learning.  Your sharing, reflection and synthesis have earned two nominations for Edublogs awards in as many years.  Impressive is a good word.In the thread below, please reflect upon our use of free, open online tools to enhance our classroom this year. I'm always proud of how your work ends up being all about…See More
May 13, 2010
Blayr Bolton replied to Erin Nash's discussion Biological Evolution - Final Ideas and Questions
"...continued. From recently watching and becoming fascinated with the Discovery channel series "Life", I decided to ask a question about birds. My question was: How does sexual selection occur with birds? For pleasure? I saw tid bits of…"
May 11, 2010

Photos

Loading…

recent visitors

© 2014   Created by Sean Nash.

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service